How Often Should I Seal My Pavers, and Why?
You finally did it! You got those beautiful pavers on your driveway that you have been wanting for years. They look amazing and add so much beauty and detail to your home. Yet after some time, you start to notice them fade and lose that initial sparkle they once had. Living in Southwest Florida, we know that it rains and that pavers are bound to get dirty. We also know that, that brutal Florida sun is even stronger during these summer months. This can cause fading in all colors and shades of pavers.
Some other issues that you may overlook are stains and spills that can occur on pavers. What do you do if you spill gas, red wine, or oil on your pavers? Is it possible to clean it up or is there something preventable that you can do prior? Understanding the pavers you purchased is step one. Once you know the material of your pavers, you can gain the knowledge you need to keep them clean and looking amazing all year long.
Why it is Important to Seal Pavers
Keeping your pavers clean and sealed is important for several reasons.
1. They were an investment. To keep them a beautiful surface at your home, you will want to make sure you clean and maintain them.
2. You will notice that after time, they may lose that initial color. Making sure that they are clean and sealed can help to keep the color bright and true. in some situations, sealers can actually enhance the color! When this happens, it ends up looking even better than when they were first installed.
3. Sealing the pavers can help to prevent dirt, grime, mildew, mold, and other unwanted substances off your surfaces. Mildew and mold are more than an eyesore, but can be dangerous on many levels as well as slick.
4. Weeds! The last thing you want to deal with is pulling weeds from your pavers. Making sure to seal your pavers can help prevent growth from moss and other unwanted plants trying to get through.
5. Sealing helps to prevent stains! We all have frustrations with stains on any surface and you don’t want to have to be extra cautious when you are outside. Power washing or hosing off the pavers should be enough to clean up your messes.
6. If you have sand between your pavers, the sealer can help to keep everything interlocked. Wind, rain, and bugs tend to disrupt this area in pavers. The goal of the sealer is to keep everything still and tight so there are no issues with movement or sinking.
7. Sealing will allow your pavers to become more weather resistant. With all the rain and storms that we get in Southwest Florida, sealing helps to keep them looking new.
8. It helps with drainage. When you seal your pavers, you are helping the water to refrain from gathering or moving underneath the foundation. This helps tremendously with runoff from the rain.
9. It helps to avoid many dangerous issues. If you choose to not have your pavers sealed, you may notice that they can get slick when wet. If their ends up being mold from lack of sealing, that can also get slippery and very dangerous to walk on.
How Often to Seal Pavers
Generally speaking, you should seal your pavers every 3-5 years. You will notice if and when your pavers begin to fade or show signs that they need resealing. You also have to consider the placement of the pavers. How much traction do the pavers get? How many people are walking on them? Have they encountered a lot of stains? Are there several vehicles parking on them? Are they in direct sunlight and are fading? Have you noticed that there is mold growing anywhere? It depends on what you see and where you see it. Use your discretion, but if it affects your safety or is a health risk, you may want to get them done sooner and more often.
Sealing Brick & Sealing Stone
A lot of people who get pavers aren’t sure if it matters what type they get when it comes to cleaning and sealing them. Because there are several variations, you should learn about that specific paver and what sealing can do for them. Brick is very porous and absorbs things easier than other types of pavers. You will notice that over time, brick in general, can discolor and shift. When you seal brick, you are not only bringing the true colors out, but you are actually enhancing them. It also helps to keep moisture out and prolong the life of the bricks.
When sealing stone, you are taking a preventative measure to help their life span. As the sealant sinks into the stone, it helps to prevent it from wearing. The ideal time to get the sealing done is before the rainy and hurricane season. Having your stone pavers sealed is ideal to keep other contaminants out and let their light color remain that way all year long!
If you are considering whether to get your pavers sealed or not, we recommend that you do! If you are looking for a way to keep your pavers looking clean and new for years to come, this is a necessary item. You will love the look of your pavers on your driveway, walkway, pool deck or other surfaces! For any other questions or concerns, head to our site and read about your pavers options.
For more information on our services, call us or connect with us on Facebook or Instagram! We would be happy to install your pool deck, driveway, fire pit, patio, and more!